Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas Eve 2006

Christmas Eve turned out really nicely. Tim had to go to work and the girls and I got to sleep in a little because the first service was not until 11am. I had to be there at 9:30 to practice for worship team and the girls had informed me the night before that they all needed nylons for church. I did not want to go to Walmart that night, so we got ready to leave the house by about 8:45 and headed to Walmart for their nylons and a couple other things we needed...since we were already there. We made it to church a little early so I had them stand in front of the church Christmas tree and took their picture. Jenna had to do a reading for the services and did really well, even though she was a bit nervous.


The girls--Alyssa, Jenna, Sammy--in back, Tara in front

Also, I had received a call at home (actually I didn't get the call, but they left a message) that we needed a baby Jesus for the manger and could I bring a baby doll. We just so happened to have Bitty Baby with us because Tara was taking her to Christmas Eve dinner at Steven's house (she was getting new clothes for her, but didn't know it). So, Bitty Baby got to be Baby Jesus!

We only had the one service at 11am and right after that I herded everyone out the door quickly so we could go to my brother and sister-in-law's house for Christmas Eve dinner. We only had to bring green salad because my s-i-l knew how busy we were going to be so it wasn't too bad. She made an awesome chicken dish from the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook over a bread over sourdough crouton-type things and my mom made Italian Green Beans that I had given her the recipe for and Tim loved and my salad. Between dinner and gifts we opened our Christmas crackers. This is an English tradition my mom started with our family years ago. Gia got the best crackers this year. They were from Costco and had the typical paper crown and jokes, but the little gifts were silver whistles, compasses, keychains, etc. Usually they come with little plastic toys, but these were actually metal and nice. We will definitely have to remember the Costco crackers next year. For dessert, Gia made the most beautiful trifle! It was delicious with raspberries and blackberries. We ate until we were absolutely stuffed! The kids opened their gifts between dinner and dessert and the older kids all got money, but Tara got clothes for Bitty Baby as well as a matching Bitty Baby and big girl pajamas and a tea set from Grandmama and her husband, John. She had brought Bitty Baby with her and immediately changed her into her new clothes.


The girls and Anthony being goofy

Precisely at 3pm we left their house because we had to drop the prime rib Tim had forgotten off at the fire station and get to church before 4pm, when the second service started. Tim informed me that he probably was going to have to work mandatory overtime on Christmas day so in my head I was trying to reschedule the week. We got to the church and the service went off very well and then I took Alyssa and Tara home between services so they didn't have to stay for all three of them. Sammy had to do childcare for the third service and Jenna had to read again so they stayed. The third service went great too, but we were all exhausted afterwards.


Jenna doing her reading

We came home and crashed. I stayed up long enough to get everyone in bed and put out stocking presents and went to bed. I figured I didn't even have to finish wrapping because we weren't going to do Christmas until later in the week.

No comments: