Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday...A day for blogging

Today our worship team had to sing for both services so we had to be at church at 7:30am. We now have reduced our worship teams to having three teams so we sing about every three weeks. Sometimes the singers will sing with some of the other teams, but usually it is every three weeks. We used to have only one team and we sang every week and then we went to six teams and singing every six weeks. That was not enough practice for each team so we condensed it down to three teams and I really like that a lot.

This week was communion and we had commissioning for our mission teams that are going to Mexico and to Los Angeles over spring break so the services went really long. We have been trying different formats every month for doing communion to really get people to focus on what it is all about and I have really liked it, but let me tell you that some people are really complaining about the whole thing. Our new pastor has now been here for one year and since has arrived a lot of changes have been made, not all by him, but many by the elders and some are his ideas as well. It seems like some people LOVE to find things to complain about and don't particularly care for change so any changes we have made have been met with a lot of complaining. Now, I can't say I have loved all the changes, but I really think we all need to give it a chance. Anyway, this week there was a big cross laying on its side at the front of the sanctuary and people would get up and come to the cross to focus on what communion was really about before you went to take the elements. It was kind of cool watching from the stage while we were singing because a lot of people kneeled to pray or really seemed to be thinking about what they were doing. I also saw a lot of tears. The whole thing really moved me this morning! So with all these extras, the services ran almost 1:45. I was supposed to take Tara to a birthday party this afternoon, but church ran so late that we couldn't go. She was not happy...needless to say.

Alyssa had to go to work this afternoon and Sammy was working on the Kids' Choir dance choreography for church with another friend. Jenna and I just kind of hung out which was nice. I decided that I would catch up on my blog while we were home this afternoon and have accomplished that, although not a lot else. I really need to try not to get behind again.

Tomorrow I have to get the car in AGAIN to the body shop. For those of you who don't know, Alyssa got in a little accident about 10 days after she got her license. She went to turn the car around because she was going to pick me up to go to the church and was running late. I told her just to go to the church and I would meet her there, so she was making an illegal U-turn on a side street to go back to the church and hit another car when she was pulling out. I hate to say it, but I forgot to take pictures of the car when she got in the accident. With the moving and the accident, I was stressing out just slightly. This makes our insurance go up, of course, and our car has been at the shop for almost three weeks. We got it back last week and the passenger door is saying that it is not closed all the way and the locks and windows aren't working, so my guess is that it is something electrical. I hope it is easy to fix!!!

We also need to take in the Excursion this week because it is leaking a litle bit of oil and needs to be fixed before we go on our "surprise vacation" next week during spring break. We had told the girls we would go somewhere during spring break once we got into our house so we are surprising them. I would say where here on the blog, but they read it, so you all will have to be surprised.

We also are starting in back to full time school this week, so it will be busy around here again!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thank the Lord she wasn't hurt in the accident. My two blessings who are driving have each been in an accident too. Both cars totaled but PTL neither one had a scratch on them.

Romany said...

Dian,
that was interesting reading about your church. I love the idea of 'meeting at the foot of the cross' before communion. Was it big?

Dorothy

Diann said...

Our service had about 500 people in the first service and then maybe about 250 in second service. Needless to say, second service went much quicker. I hope we get to do communion that way again, but maybe we need two crosses in the front to expedite it a little. The biggest problem is that we are getting too close to when second service starts at the end of first service that way.

Diann

Cynthia said...

I get to blog sometimes during church... when we're on we are there for all of the Sat and Sun services. The band is two weeks on and two weeks off because as you already said anymore time off would be too long inbetween. Our singers, however, aren't on "set" teams they are scheduled (one person for alto, one for soprano and one male voice) every 5-6 weeks to sing for two weeks at a time. So, they don't always sing with the same leader or band...